Re: RC: Is Endurance a Team Sport?

Sbeseda@aol.com wrote:

> Following this year's WEC was confusing. Some of the participates
> were part of a team. Other participates were not part of a team. I
> believe 3 French riders finished 1, 2, and 3, but where did the French
> team place? If a rider's completion does not help place a team then why
> bother with teams? Maybe everyone should ride as an individual
> representing a country.

As host country, the French are allowed 12 riders from which they must chose
4 to ride on the team.  My guess is that they chose "rabbits" to ride up
front and suck everyone else along, hoping to eliminate the competition.  I
worked to a point, but their rabbits did not die and their team members did
not fare as well as they anticipated.

> Or, maybe all riders should ride for a team. The problem I have with
> that is the same problem I have watching a Baseball All-Star game. The
> team exists for only one event. There is no previous team building, thus
> no real team dynamics come into play during the event. Team play
> takes practice.

Although it is the individual winner that gets the most of the glory, many
nations feel that a team win is more obtainable.  USET deems that our four
TEAM riders are THE riders and the two individuals are as "alternates".
Seems to me the USA did not ride as a "team" for the most part.  Exclude
Valerie as she was not part of the nominated squad, but won the privilege of
defending her pervious individual Gold Medal in Dubai in 1998. Individual
riders are free to ride as they chose or as they are "used" (as the French
did) as rabbits or whatever.  To me, to ride as a team is the ultimate test.

> Two more questions:
> 1. Will Endurance Riding be a team sport if it becomes an Olympic
> sport?

Hard to tell...it may remain just the same with both individuals and teams
being rewarded.

> 2. Can several horses and riders travel faster as a team or faster as
> individuals?

Depends...do they train together? Have they actually worked as a team?  Do
their horses ride well together?

--
Teddy Lancaster

American Endurance Ride Conference # 139422
- Member since 1974
6000+ career miles

Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak;
Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

-- Winston Churchill

Running Bear Farm, Inc.
Your Trail Riding Equipment Headquarters - Celebrating our 20th
Anniversary!!!!
Teddy Lancaster, President
1348 Township Road 256
Kitts Hill, Ohio, 45645 USA  -  http://runningbear.com/
Webmaster for USA East website: http://usa-east.org/
Moderator for the USA EAST mailing list:
                            http://www.onelist.com/subscribe/USAEAST
1-800-533-2327, FAX: 740-533-0337
Home of Khalarado+/ 1990 IAHA National Endurance Champion
- (1982 Chestnut CMK Stallion)
Supplying the WORLD with quality endurance equipment since 1980