Is Endurance a Team Sport?

Following this year's WEC was confusing. Some of the participates
were part of a team. Other participates were not part of a team. I
believe 3 French riders finished 1, 2, and 3, but where did the French
team place? If a rider's completion does not help place a team then why
bother with teams? Maybe everyone should ride as an individual
representing a country.

Or, maybe all riders should ride for a team. The problem I have with
that is the same problem I have watching a Baseball All-Star game. The
team exists for only one event. There is no previous team building, thus
no real team dynamics come into play during the event. Team play
takes practice.

Two more questions:
1. Will Endurance Riding be a team sport if it becomes an Olympic
sport?

2. Can several horses and riders travel faster as a team or faster as
individuals?

Scott