Re: RC: EN Sept issue

In a message dated 9/11/00 12:11:00 AM Pacific Daylight Time, RQuestarabians
writes:

<< Heidi, you brought up some very good points. However, the point that I
think you missed is that endurance riding is one of those rare sports that
does not have to be "labled" or "seperated" into it' own seperate levels. Who
said that endurance is not endurance to a horse until they have traveled at
least 50 or more miles? >>

So, do you suggest that we all start out together in the morning--Valerie K
on a world contender almost ready to go there right next to Nancy Novice at
her first event, and just go hash it out?  Sorry, but no.  We DO need some
definition of different levels, etc., because people (and horses) have
different goals, different capabilities, and different levels of fitness.
That is why the Special Olympics kids (for whom the event is still the
ultimate experience, the giving of one's all, etc.) DON'T line up next to
Team USA and Team Every-other-country in Sydney here in a few days.
Endurance, as a matter of pitting one's self against the trail, persevering,
etc., does indeed come at all distances.  However, the sport of "endurance
riding" starts at 50 miles.  This does not denigrate the enduring done by
those on LD rides.  In fact, after AERC was forced to eliminate what later
became called LD distances from endurance competition IN ORDER TO PROTECT THE
HEALTH AND WELFARE OF THE HORSES, ride managers still understood the need for
shorter distances for all the reasons I (and others) have mentioned in
compromise needed to be made to include an LD program--and hence the LD
program was born.  It is still undergoing modification--as indeed, is the
whole sport, all the time.  In fact, I have no qualms when an LD rider calls
himself an endurance rider.  Yes, he is enduring.  And yes, he is
participating in this sport, at its entry level.   But he has yet to do an
ENDURANCE RIDE.  This is not a social stigma--it is simply a matter of fact.
The dynamics of the sport DO change as one approaches 50 miles.  And if you
haven't been there, you may have a tough time understanding this.  But it's
true.  Some horses with a lot of aptitude can get through 25 on just guts and
heart, with virtually NO level of preparation or fitness.  But it is not in
their best interests to do so.  And people who don't understand that and who
will do such things at the expense of their horse abound.  Some are not very
educable, while others are quite amenable to learning, and get the hang of
what it takes after awhile.  We only see a fraction of that at the 50-mile
level that we used to see at the 25-mile level, believe it or not.  So in the
best interests of the HORSE, AERC chose to eliminate the shorter distances
and define the sport from the 50-mile level on up--where the distance
dictates a little preparation.  IMO, this is one of the wisest decisions the
board ever made.

I will never compete at the Olympics.  That did not keep me in years past
from enjoying a variety of "Olympic" sports on a lesser level.  It did not
keep me from benefitting from that participation, nor did the fact that I was
not in training for the Olympics mar my psyche or cause any sort of social
stigma.  One has to define a sport on some level.  Football is played on a
rectangular field 100 yards long, with quarters that last for a defined time
and rules that dictate how you play the game.  Endurance riding is played on
a trail at least 50 miles long, with the maximum time being a defined time
relative to the actual distance, with rules that dictate how you play the
game.  You may certainly "endure" shorter distances--and thanks to the LD
program, you are encouraged to do so if that is the level at which you and
your horse is comfortable.  Hallelujah.  But only when you have adequate
preparation to do 50 miles are you playing the game of "endurance riding."
The bar has to be set somewhere, and lower settings of the bar have not
worked.  Let's not go back to the dark ages and try to reinvent the wheel...

Heidi