Re: RC: EN Sept issue

In a message dated 09/10/2000 9:16:42 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
CMKSAGEHIL@AOL.com writes:

<< Endurance is defined as 50 miles or more, >>

Heidi, you brought up some very good points. However, the point that I think
you missed is that endurance riding is one of those rare sports that does not
have to be "labled" or "seperated" into it' own seperate levels. Who said
that endurance is not endurance to a horse until they have traveled at least
50 or more miles? That is just a rule that some one made up. How come there
is not seperate divisions for 50 miles, 75 miles, 100 miles, or multi days?
Why is it that  the 25 mile rides are considered so distanced from the rest
of the endurance world? That is what bothers me. Riding 25 miles is 25 miles,
riding 50 miles is 50 miles, riding 75 or 100 or a 250 mile ride is what it
is. It is simple. Its about having fun and doing the miles no matter what
distance it is. Period.  The beauty of this wonderful sport is that you can
ride in almost any distance that you want ( except 25 mile rides ) and get
the mileage credit for what you and your horse has done. Except 25 mile rides
? Why is that?
You simply cannot compare this sport to other sports like Dressage etc. In
endurance there are all levels, abilities, and expectations of riders
combined into one race whether it is the 25 miler, 50 miler etc. In dressage
training level riders compete only against training level riders . In
endurance I  (lets say I'm 2nd level dressage) get to compete on the same
turf as Wendy Merendini ( Grand Prix level)  in the same 100 mile ride. That
is absolutely amazing. Of course, my expectations and results are most likely
going to be  much more different than her's in the same race. What other
sport out there has this kind of wonderful broad variety and is not
complicated by seperate divisions within divisions? Why is limited distance
any different? When you speak of limited distance as being on a different
level as "endurance" that is nonsense. If that where the case then you need
to seperate 50 miles rides  from 75 mile rides , and 75 miles from 100 miles
etc. Then all the different levels of riders should then compete at their own
different levels within those different distances. No thank you , and thank
god it is not like that!
I love the unity and broadness that endurance riding has to offer. I think
most people agree. When you compare endurance to other sports as having
seperate "levels" you have to first compare apples to apples. Endurance
riding is fortunately like no other . . .
Robyn