Re: RC: Irregular heartbeat

At 08:54 PM 09/10/2000 -0600, you wrote:
>at the first vet check the very efficient PR guy noted an irregular
>pulse.  The vet didn't say anything, but I pointed it out at the second
>check, for my sister and I had both listened to it by then, and it would
>go fast for a few beats, then slow.  The vet suspected something to do
>with electrolytes, and more specifically potassium.  He thought she
>might be getting too much potassium.

Was she thumping?  What were you feeding before during and after the ride?

>We had made doses with two scoops
>of Enduromax, because it had been very hot - into the 100's there - but
>yesterday it was only 87, with a bit of cloud over the sun, so she
>wasn't sweating all that much.

HUH?  You did a 50 in under 6 hours in 87 degree heat and don't think she
was sweating all that much?

How many 2 oz. doses of Enduramax did you give her?  (before, during and
after)

>Could it be too much potassium?  Something else?  Last December I had
>blood drawn during the 60 mile Deming ride for the Pride project, and
>the only result that was out of the normal range was a low potassium
>reading.  Any ideas?

If you had low potassium before, and weren't increasing the amount of
electrolytes from that ride to this one (and still feeding the same), then
you likely have the same problem.  Need more info, then you might get more
answers.