Re: RC: Maryben's Message

In a message dated 9/10/00 6:44:40 PM Pacific Daylight Time, Merryben writes:

<< I could be wrong and often am, but I don't remember LD ever being given
points for the year end awards.  That was the big deal with the LD committee.
 They got nothing and were second class citizens and essentially paid the
bills for no awards. .......mb >>

I'm not sure what year it changed.  But they sure did get points back in the
70's.  When I started riding, virtually all rides were only one distance--and
a great many were only 35 or 40.  And then came the great idea to offer
different distances all the same day--and 25's became pretty standard since
one could easily do loops and have 25, 50, etc.  I can remember the ride in
Vale, OR--I think it was the year John Sumerlin was National Champion.  His
horse was getting a bit iffy, but the win on the 25 would net more points
than a mere completion on the 50.  I can't remember if John won or not, but I
think he did.  The winning time on that 25 was 1:09, and I've never seen such
a uniformly sorry bunch of horses than those front runners.  But because of
the shorter mileage, if you were running for points, you pretty much had to
run to win, because the "net" for points wasn't very much if you didn't.  So
folks were REALLY cut-throat.  At too many rides, the vets were kept so busy
treating the "short ride" horses that it got pretty frantic.  Since you don't
get hands on a horse but once in the middle, and the ride times were so fast,
a great many crashes did not occur until well after the rides.  AERC figured
it was best to be pro-active and deal with the issue before it drew too much
attention and got us labeled as a sport that truly abused horses--and the
idea came about to take the points out of the short rides and eliminate them
altogether as an AERC entity.  It worked.  They became rides for novices
trying to learn, people who simply didn't care to ride further, etc.--and
even though there was still an element of racing, to this day, the winning LD
is often slower than the winning 50 on the first lap.  Of course, this
complete excision of the short rides from the "system" also had its
problems--you named the main one, which is that LD'ers (as they later came to
be known) felt like they were paying the bills and being treated like second
class citizens.  Another problem was the concern that the "short" rides would
not be run to AERC standards if they were not sanctioned.  (Most rides had
them, and to this day, I don't know of any that DIDN'T run by at least some
semblance of AERC rules, but whatever.)  So AERC set up the LD program.  This
gave some credit and recognition to folks who were content to continue to
ride at what most sports would call a novice level--and indeed, there isn't a
thing wrong with that and it happens in virtually every horse sport.  And
certainly it behooves AERC to be involved with the LD rides, for many
reasons.  There is no shame in being an LD rider, any more than there is any
shame in doing intro or training level dressage, or any other entry level in
any other discipline.  However, to go back to awarding LD's the same career
credit (re points, miles, etc.) is a giant step backward in being able to
monitor horses and protect those whose riders don't take the responsibility
to ride to the horse's ability.  (Yes, this IS the rider's responsibility,
but let's face it--if everyone did that, we wouldn't need ride vets or
standards for continuing or completion, etc.  Even responsible folks get
caught up in the heat of competition from time to time...)

LD is a great thing.  It serves many purposes--it's a stepping stone into the
sport for some, a "ride intro 101" for young horses that need the
socialization as part of their training, a way for riders to participate and
enjoy who for whatever reason (age, infirmity, no time to stay fit for longer
events, etc.) can't go longer distances, etc.  But there was good reason to
remove the "short" rides from the points program to begin with, and we would
be fools to revisit history in that regard.

Heidi