Re: RC: hills and NATRC

In a message dated 9/10/00 8:01:19 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
horseplay@ratedg.com writes:

<< Is there a NATRC rule saying that we are only to walk our horses up
 and downhill?  This lady insists that we only walk on hills and I
 thought she said it was a rule.  Now...when we are riding in groups,
 it is sort of a "take care of each other" mentality.  >>

Nope, no "rule" about walking your horse up or downhill or  a "rule" that
says you should wait at the bottom of a hill for the next horse.  Its just
common sense and safety when riding in groups.  For the most part if you just
look at any particular situation and say to yourself "What is the safest way
to get from here to there?"  You'll be doing things the NATRC way.  Also,
people get so worried about the quote RULES at NATRC rides -- there really
aren't that many.  And the worst thing that will happen if you do something
wrong (like gallopping madly uphill) is you might lose a point or two on your
scorecard -- you won't be horsewhipped at ride briefing! ('Course all the
other riders who had to deal with their horses going postal while you
careened up hill might have other plans for you :).  NATRC teaches you all
kinds of cool stuff that many of the experienced endurance riders who I've
met do anyway and that make for a much more pleasant, safe, fun ride all the
way around.  Examples:  waiting for a horse to finish drinking before leaving
a water trough, or not sponging out of said trough.  Or how to present your
horse to the vet judge so that his life doesn't flash before his eyes <g>.
Go to your first NATRC ride, watch the experienced Open riders (many of whom
also compete in AERC) and have fun, fun, fun!!!

Sylvia, Harca & Star (We LOVE NATRC, can ya tell? :))

PS -- You'd better be sure that your mentor isn't on RC -- LOL!