Re: RC: Horses and roads

I have to confess that if I'd be hard pressed not to let loose at people
who think it's funny to honk horns at riders & horses, or to drive by at
speed, or yell out the window, or throw trash at them.  This is why it's
not a good idea for me to carry weapons while riding.  On the other hand, I
hate riding on pavement at all, or on roads with narrow right-of-ways,
especially since a friend of mine & her horse was hit a few years back by a
car full of laughing teenagers, and Paul & Amber were once almost run over
while leading horses, by a speeding truck hauling a trailerload of pipe.

Around here (NM) most all the paved roads and a lot of the dirt roads are
"market roads", that is, roads on which ranchers have the right to drive
their livestock to market.  Of course you can't count on people stopping or
giving way to the livestock, so the ranchers often will have a couple state
police cars moving along at each end of the herd, which DOES make an
impression on irresponsible drivers.  However, the best thing about market
roads is that the right-of-ways are wide - sometimes 50' on either side is
available for livestock - and for horses & riders too.  Now *that's*
civilized.  Lif

             Lif & Paul Strand  STRAND ENTERPRISES www.fasterhorses.com
           Web Page Design * Computer Graphics * Internet Research * Fine Art
                 Blue-Green Algae & other complementary health options
HERITAGE ENDURANCE RACE June 9, 2001 - http://www.fasterhorses.com/race.html