Re: RC: Pulling up hills?

In a message dated 09/09/2000 11:18:10 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
123presto@email.msn.com writes:

<< I've noticed lately that Zephyr (5yr Arab not gaited) seems to be pulling
 himself up hills more than pushing. I think it's just that he is young,
 inexperienced and hasn't learned to engage th "other end" yet.  >>

That would be my assessment, too.  I have a 6 year old that has the uphill
stuff down pat, but it's taken him a longer time to develop the muscles for
doing the downhill successfully.  Until just recently, I've not trotted him
downhill for fear he fell on his face.  It takes time, maturity and
conditioning to develop the hind quarters and balance.  From my experience,
almost all the youngsters I've brought up have pulled with the front end
until they mature, strengthen and learn.

Barbara