Re: RC: Missouri Fox Trotters

Hi Suzanne,
I ride and breed Missouri Fox Trotters for endurance.  See my site at
http://www.mofoxtrot.com/ribbonridge.
I hardly ever get to do rides because I have no one to farmsit, but do train
the horses toward an endurance career.  I find they have enormous stamina,
though are more laid back than arabs, as a rule.  My stallion Ransom can be
quite competitive, but is easily rated.  He is also a good traveler and
camper, which appeals to me a lot.
Truman has said that the gaited horses take about a year longer to condition
and I would agree with that, particularly if you are thinking of being a
front runner.  If you are going for completion only, I don't think that is
really a consideration.
Here in the Ozarks where humidity is a factor, I find they work better in all
seasons but summer, and don't cool as well as a typical arab.  Otherwise, the
breed is a delight to ride and handle, being even tempered and intelligent
and very people-oriented.
Good luck with your new horse!  Keep us posted.
Kitty Longino
Ribbon Ridge Farm