Re: RC: Washy Horse

ribbitttreefrog@yahoo.com writes:

<< > Gluconeogenesis. First comes the glucose drop, then the
 > shockiness, then the
 > mobilization of liver glycogen in response.

 Would that explain why when Classy tied up once a year or
 so ago, right before, he total sweated, foamy white sweat
 all over his face/neck/shoulders? >>

Maybe. Tying up has its own set of symptoms, and excess sweating is one of
them. He could have been tying up before you knew he was tying up. I don't
think there has been any actual study done in exercising horses measuring
blood glucoses with subsequent tying up--that would be interesting. My buess
is that, in those circumstances, at the end of a ride, where "cramping"
occurs, glucose would be low. Whether that's causitive or coincidental, is
unknown.

ti