Re: Re: Is it safe to go to the show?

I was concerned about that - but the vet didn't seem worried about it.
Several people sort of encouraged me to continue - she didn't have a temp
or show many symptoms at the vet check - some even though she might be
"pulling my leg".  But I know her very well and she really wasn't right.  I
sure hope we didn't spread any germs.  I suppose it could have just as
easiliy been allergy symptoms.  But if I had realized she was coming down
with something, I sure would have kept her home, away from the other
horses.  Also, I'm not sure of the value of antibiotics for a virus - but I
guess that's usually how all the "bugs" get treated, to prevent secondary
infection.

Cel

> I have a question about this - isn't anyone concerned with transmitting
the
> bug to other horses?  Isn't it tough to get health papers with a sick
> animal?  Maybe I'm just really paranoid, but I haven't had many instances
of
> sick animals and want to keep it that way.
>
> The only cold any of my horses have ever had was my gelding when he went
> a large facility for training.  He got a nasty cold that we got under
> control with penicillin right away.  But when I visited him, for 2 weeks
> after I took extra clothes and washed up real good before even going
home.
> I didn't want to give it to my other horses.  And I especially didn't
want
> one of them to be carrying anything, even if they weren't sick, to other
> horses on the rides.
>
> Marlene

Sunday,
> and will keep him out of work till Saturday, then do light schooling
again.

> Toc is very flat at the moment.  No signs of virus apart from that,
> although he was coughing a bit when worked on Tuesday.  Might have been
> dust (very windy and dry), but not sure.  Pulse, temp, resp normal.
Eating
> normally.  Problem is that he tends to fight these things then suddenly
> gets really ill.
>

> I had entered both of them for a two-phase show on 17 Sep.  Two novice
> dressage tests and a short, training, XC course (16 fences, max height
> 80cm, total length of course approx 1 km).  Will Piglet be over the virus
> sufficiently by then to go to the show?  He has not done XC before, and
is
> not as fit as Toc.  Should I take Toc, bearing in mind he has shown no
sign
> of getting the virus?  I have upped his concentrates from 1.5 kg per day
> 2.5 kg per day, but haven't ridden him since Sunday (studying, remember!)
> and won't ride till Friday / Saturday, depending on work.  If he is still
> flat, should I pull out of the show?
>

> My heart says to pull out, my head says I'm being paranoid.  My vet says
> I'm being paranoid.  My instructor says "wait and see" and will probably
> then tell me I'm being paranoid.  Husband says pull out, but he always
says
> that as I am Bitch from Hell before a show.
>
> Any and all advice would be appreciated.  Except for "wait and see".
That