Washy Horse

> guest@endurance.net writes:
>
> << Sharon Satterwhite ssatt44@hotmail.com
>  I have a puzzle. Jihad is in his 4th season, and has just finished his
>  second 50. At both of these rides he got really washy(sp) under
>  his collar and bridle. I was taught that it meant excess prot. in
>  the diet. He is free fed bermuda hay with 5lbs of an oat/alfafa
>  cube(10.5%prot.) no grain My vet said that as long as he maintained
>  his weight, he didn't need any grain. He finished both rides feelin
>  fit. Just a puzzle, as he has not done this before.   >>
>

> You probably have a horse that is experiencing a low blood glucose and is
> borderline shocky. Tell your vet to go on lettuce for a week and then come
> out and run alongside your horse for a while. Then he'll have a little
better
> perspective.

If Jihad felt fine and finished in good condition, I doubt seriously
if he was borderline shocky, Tom. The "Foamy" sweat does not necessarily
mean excess protein (which is definitely not the case, based on his diet
of Bermuda grass and limited oat/alfalfa cubes. There is grain (oats) in the
cubes. The "foamy" sweat is triggered by epinephrine-excitement, or friction
(the collar and bridle). It's whiteness is due to increased protein content,
but doesn't really reflect diet. Fling "foams" when she is mind farting,
goes clear as she settles down. Unfit horses will also foam more than fit
horses-
may be a combination of stress and attitude. If Jihad is maintaining good
body condition, has a shiny coat, good recoveries, etc I wouldn't worry
about a little foam
under the tack.

Sarah and Fling (who lathers quite nicely when ever she's antsy)