Burnout

Mike said:

> burnout in the software world is akin to an extreme case of over training
a horse.>

Am suddenly having graphic images of manic Animal Rights lobbyists standing
outside Bill Gate's headquarters, waving placards saying "Gates cruel to
software workers"  "Stop Burnout now!" "Save our Programmers" and (my
favourite) "Software support staff are people, too!".

(manic giggling).

Sorry, Mike, I know that burnout is real, it was the analogy which struck me
as amusing.

>It has nothing to do with mediocrity and everything to do with desire - an
owner's desire to win races, a corporation's desire to be first to
market...it doesn't matter that you burnout a few horses/software developers
along the way because there's always more where they came from, right?>

Oh, s..t.  I sense another winner is loser debate about to ensue.

>The irony here is that the most gifted and brilliant developers - rather
than the mediocre ones - are the most prone to burnout precisely because of
their drive and desire to create AND complete, on time.  >

Hmm, can't talk about the computer industry, but in my profession, the most
giften and brilliant lawyers are those who understand the concept of time
management and looking after themselves to avoid burnout.

Just a thought.  Use it, don't use it, you know.

>You might instead explain to your daughter that no job is worth dying
over.>

And the flip side of this coin is that no job is worth living for, either!

Tracey