RE: Is my mentor an idiot? :o)

<<  She swears it frees up their back end to push.  What are
 your opinions on this? >>

Try going up a steep hill both ways and see what happens.  First try
sitting
on your horse (not like a sack of potatoes, but in a modified 2 point),
then
try the actual 2 point.  Which way FEELS better?  ....

People frequently OVER do it and then it does
make
things harder for the horse.  One other thing..... if you disagree with
something your mentor is telling you, don't assume that its an NATRC
"thing".
 ;)

Sylvia >>

The comment about the NATRC thing had me cracking up, because the only
NATRC rider I ever rode with ALWAYS held onto the horses mane, stood
up in her stirrups and leaned WAY forward on mild hills that I would be
posting rather upright on.  I always thought it was a NATRC "thing".
Her horse also trips a lot in the front, don't know if that's related.
I should go to a NATRC ride to see if all the riders do this before
I make gross generalizations based on one rider, eh?

This has me thinking a little.  If the hill is real steep I will do
a modified two point, not the classic hunt seat two point. On moderate
climbs, I would post the trot.  In either case, I do not put too much weight
into the stirrups - I would distribute it along my legs, thighs and
seat.  Of course, there's that fast trot that I just kinda hold myself
in "neutral" - I guess you would call this the half seat.  Downhills
I do hold my behind onto the seat rather lightly and do my best to
follow the motion of the horse, but remain rather upright -not leaning
back.  Posting the trot seems to be the best way to keep my horse
from "pulling himself" up the hill and motivated to use his behind
to propel himself forward.  Real steep hills, I just lean forward,
grab his mane if I'm freaked, and let him "bound" up them, trying to keep as
much
light contact with the saddle and horse as possible, keeping supple
with his movements.

I agree that if you stand way over the forehand, the horse will be
unbalanced.  Putting a lot of weight in the stirrups will create
pressure points underneath the stirrup bar, so when you say "2 point"
I hope you're not "standing up in the stirrups".

Okay, enough blabbing for the night!

See ya.

Kathy