RC: WASHY HORSE

Barb Peck bpeck@together.net
Barb Peck
bpeck@together.net

I assume by washy you mean foamy?

There are particular sweat gland/cells that
produce a surfactant, (lubricant) which accounts for the foamy sweat.
Protien in the diet is a component, but it doesn't necessarily
mean he's being fed too much protein.

Usually when (long distance) horses are ridden regularily,
 the foam stops and the sweat is clear, mainly
 because the cells don't have time
to build back up the surfactant in the cell between exercises.
(Just what the surfactant is.. I can't remember..it could be
some type of protein.)
It's a common belief, that when the horse is in shape for
 distance, the sweat is pretty clear and feels less sticky.

I guess you could safely say, it's a combination of diet
and type/duration of exercise.

Sprinters quite often are foamy before the start of a race.

Barb