Re: RC: Very slightly off-set cannons

Hi Karen
Can't answer about her ability to compete in endurance, but the offset
cannons don't have to be hereditary if they were caused by the outside
or inside growth plates growing at a faster rate than the other, fully
correctable if caught in time and a not uncommon occurrence in growthy
tall horses.
I have a Hal son who had the same problem and belonged to a client. He
was not caught in time; however, I had Charlie Boles evaluate him for
endurance and, based on his movement, tremendous overreach of the back
end and extension in front as well as the fact he does not interfere
with himself and compensates by putting his weight squarely over his
cannon, Charlie thought he would make an excellent prospect and have no
joint problems. Soooo, you have to take the WHOLE horse into
consideration--- not just one blemish, or one positive, for that matter.
As Charlie said, you can have a horse with absolutely PERFECT
conformation and that horse would never make a good endurance horse.
Lots of factors, n'est pas, Tom?
Bette
Bette Lamore
Whispering Oaks Arabians, Home of 16.2hh TLA Halynov
(yes, REALLY!)
http://www.arabiansporthorse.com