Re: Mold on grass hay

Hi. Lif.  You asked:

>My question is that is this sort of moldy grass hay OK to feed to horses on
a regular rather than occasional basis (apparently the whole load of hay is
like this)?  Another person suggested wetting it down before feeding, which
would cut down on what mold would be inhaled, but what about horses
ingesting it?  Ideas?  Opinions?

I don't have anything exciting to add, other than to say that I have had a
delivery of hay like this before and sent it straight back to supplier (I
can be somewhat prissy if provoked) with instructions to deliver "better"
hay next time.  I don't like the dust factor.

Interestingly, I once HAD to use a bale of moldy hay (last in batch and
waiting for delivery) and Toc refused to eat it.  Gave me very definite
equine f..k off look, and stood with his head in the corner.  Being of the
view that they know something we don't, and that I would rather starve than
eat Brussels Sprouts and he is therefore entitled to be equally picky, I
rushed next door and borrowed a bale.

Tracey