Re: Re(2): RC: RE: AERC & International & FEI

Leonard wrote:

>I agree, but if we want our sport to become more popular, if the breeders
want to sell their offsprings, how else could we do ?>

I'm not sure.  I can spot the rot, but I've never been much good at digging
it out, I'm afraid.

>It's already like that in France in particular : several professional
trainers and brokers at the same time, recruiting good prospects and selling
them to persons having money (nouveaux riches or not); why should we fight
against that as long as there is a place for an amateur conditioning his
horse by himself and achieving good performance. >

The "rot" is not because the rich will succeed / win at this sport, but
because, sooner or later, the horses, and the sport itself, will suffer
because people will begin taking short-cuts, using drugs, etc, in order to
achieve success.  You don't have to fight against the influx of money, but
you have to tighten the controls so that loopholes can't be find by
unscrupulous people (moneyed or otherwise) who would use whatever means they
can to achieve success, to the detriment of the sport.

>But this is not FEI related.>

It is if FEI is wanting to run the sport - they are the ones who will be
called upon to ensure that practices like this either do not occur, or that
anyone found to be guilty of them is severely dealt with.  I guess what I'm
saying is that, if the FEI wants to open the door for huge amounts of money
to flood into the sport, then it should also guard the door against the
attendant evils which money inevitably attracts.

>Our sport is not the second equestrian discipline and attracts new
practisers, some of them willing to spent big buck for buying a top level
horse... all benefits for amateur riders or breeders willing to sell ... no
reason to condamn them...>

I'm not condemning them.  I'm not condemning making money from riding or
dealing either.  What I do condemn is the fact that, so often I have seen
talented horses in other disciplines brought on too fast, using whatever
"synthetic aids" are at the owner's disposal, in order to maximise
performance and hence maximise price.  That can't be good for the horse, or
for the sport.  And that is what needs to be addressed.

I hope I've made sense here.  I have a suspicious feeling that I'm suffering
from "exam overload" as I haven't slept since Monday night.  If this sounds
like drivel, you may tell me so in the most vitriolic terms you can think
of!

Tracey