how hard is this?

I have to admit that I am thoroughly intimidated at the care of an
endurance horse.  All the supplements and special feeds and equipment
and training.  I know they are serioius athletes and I really do want
to get involved in this...I have an insatiable appetite for riding and
for my horse.  I'm really nervous that I am going to hurt him or not
care for him properly.  How hard is it to get the hang of all of the
care?  What are the best books on this topic?  Thanks!
Shannon
"If the grass is always greener on the other
side of the fence.....try watering your yard!"