Parasite Testing

Laura Nielsen lsn@bellsouth.net
I recently had fecal testing for my two horses done by
Equine Parasitology Group, Alachua, Florida. Terry Munn,
owner, runs 3 tests per sample: one McMasters and two Cornell/
Wisconsin double centrifuge tests per animal. Results are
calculated in eggs per gram (EPG). The validity of using all
3 tests was shown on one of my horses. He only tested positive
on one of the CW tests. Unfortunately, the other horse
was positive on all three. Seems I had under-estimated his
weight! When Terry notified me of the test results, he suggested
the following formula to estimate weight:  girth x girth x
lenth, divided by 330 = 50.
The other formula he provided was to estimate the # of worm
eggs produced in a 24 hr cycle. Eggs per gram (EPG) x 455 x
8 x 15. Depending on the EPG #, this can be an alarmingly
large number.
If anyone is interested in using this service, contact
Terry at 352-315-7063. Collection kits are available and
specimens can be shipped over night from anywhere in the U.S.