Re: RC: This Sport as a Sport

Good coherent, clear, and substantive post, Kat.

Yes, there are two divergent views of endurance riding, as I've pointed out
before. There are those who view it as competitive and those who view it as
recreation only--and some in-between, trying to decide which way they want to
go. It's the same with the running craze--some just go out for a daily jog,
others go out for a major improvement in fitness, and still others go for
competition. All are participants in the sport of running, if you wish to
define sport as recreation--which is certainly one of several definitions in
Webster's.

My interest lies in the competitive sports, because I tend to enjoy
competition. In business, in life, and in sport. I believe competition leads
to higher achievements, finer-tuned goals, better performances in all aspects
of life. I know that is true for me. You either deliver the best, or you
lose.

And where you and I disagree is when you assert that there is something
wrong, and unsportsmanlike, about the desire to compete, the desire to be the
best at what you do. I can't run the 100m as fast as Carl Lewis, or swim the
100 as fast as any of the people who will qualify for the Olympics this year.
But I will watch these people perform with great interest, and thrill at
their achievements, without ever thinking, once, that these indivuals who
have devoted much of their lives to developing their athletic prowess are
somehow lower on the moral totem pole than I. Won't give it a thought. Won't
even consider that because I run to the mailbox to pick up the mail that my
running is of superior moral content because it is not based on crass
competition. I don't have the kind of psychological need that makes this kind
of rationalization necessary. Those that succomb to such a need are generally
unhappy people in life, trying to live the Big Lie. Takes a lot of effort,
and there is no reward whatsoever in it.

The great thing about my point of view, if I may brag a little about it, is
that I have the opportunity to truly enjoy the successes of others. Not only
that, but to learn how and why they succeeded--how they were able to overcome
great odds and achieve winning performance--in any endeavor. And if, by some
stroke of luck, I've been able to help in some small way with that
achievement, then the victory is, in small part, mine. That's why I frame
some of the pictures of my trainers, from all over the world, being handed
gold and silver cups and platters. Every day, I can walk by them and enjoy
each success, and remember, precisely, how it was achieved.  Then, when the
next person willing to work and learn comes by, I can, again, give a little
boost, and hope that someday, another token of achievement arrives in the
mail.

I have no picture of Tiger Woods on the wall. That's because I did nothing to
help him. I have not participated at all in his victories. But I sure do
admire the results of those years and years of focused hard work. And if you
were to sugest to me that he is not a sportsman, then we'd be right back into
the fluffhead discussion. Similarly, if you would dare to suggest that
Valerie is not a sportswoman, I'd have to laugh in your face.

You can define "winning" and "sport" as you wish. It's your brain, and you
can fill it with whatever suits your fancy. But you can expect an argument
when you denegrate the efforts of those who choose to compete and develop the
best athletic prowess possible.

ti