Re: Conditioning for a 100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sarah Ralston" <ralston@AESOP.RUTGERS.EDU>

> Karen Sullivan wrote:

 Absolutely no offense to Sarah, becuase I
> believe she knows
> what she is doing........but when I read her OD story it sounded like the
> horse barely
> had enough conditioning to do a 50!
>
> I was worried about a "lack of conditioning" too-but when my mare had the
> best performance and
> recoveries ever earlier that spring on the 25 mile and 50 mile rides I
took
> her on,
> I realized that this mare (might not work for all), does better caring a
> little more weight
> than I thought previously to be ideal>
> Another key point: She had a solid base of training, which, as everyone
> from Tom to Angie agree is essential.
> > KEY POINT: The mare has a good solid base of work for the speed and
> distances I ask her to
> compete in. As several have pointed out you do need to train hard to get
it,
> but once it is there-don't keep pounding them! > Sarah and Fling (raring
to go again)

This makes sense, and I don't think I realized it when I read Sarah's
original OD story.......................
This is EXACTLY like my friends hard-keeper mare, with 5-6 years of solid
conditioning
and several 50's............seems the less she rides her,now at age 17, the
better the mare does...............
takes all spring on pasture and all the hay she can eat, to get a decent
body condition score.
But, with this weight the mare just does fine. Just can't be ridden hard all
the time and keep the weight
on.  Has better recoveries with the weight on, too.

Karen