Re: RC: stumbling mustang

Since you say that he's really new under saddle perhaps if you give him some additional time to adjust to being ridden and continue with his education (the bending, yeilding, etc that you wanted to do) he'll come along.  When I start a horse I don't expect a lot from them for a long time, I don't push, we just get down the trail.  They learn so much every ride and they don't even know it, no pressure.  We do lots of "trail" dressage later on as they get more coordinated and comfortable on the trail.  It has been my observation, that the dressage movements I ask for on the trail are performed so much more relaxed than when we do the same exercise in the arena.  In my opinion, we are both more relaxed and less "pressured" to perform.

Maybe just letting him grow and learn for the next six months to a year, it takes time in my opinion.  Some of my youngsters stumble initially, some never do, but the ones that I had that stumbled initially, quit as they got stronger and learned about where their feet were.  In fact, Jay, the horse I ride now was horrible.  Now I'd trust him anywhere.  He's very surefooted and careful.

Dawna

Do You Yahoo!?