stumbling mustang

----------

For those of you who responded to my questions about my stumbling mustang.
Part 1, the shoeing was an obvious help, farrier didn't see anything wrong
with horse/feet/legs.
Vet check revealed nothing.
today went to instructor (and I did use my regular english instructor since
she is very knowledgable in dressage) to have my riding "style" evaluated
and for her to observe Hudson in motion.  We also "calipered?" his feet.
She said nothing was wrong with my position, and didn't see anything
(healthwise) that would contribute to his stumbling.  It's been so dry here
the sand was really deep in the arena and he's never worked in an arena with
such footing.  He only stumbled once, over a cavalletti.  We trotted
cavalletti and then raised center ones in each set and he did fine.
Her conclusion:  a slight case of A.D.D. and LAZINESS and she said he'll
probably always be lazy!  She also didn't think he was overweight...(she did
ask me if I thought he ought to look like those skinny Arabs? and I said
"gee, I guess I did!")

So my next question is this:  Is there anything the rider can do to cure a
lazy attitude?  (in light of the crop carrying string I'm hesitant to ask if
I should ride with a crop!!!?)  Please keep in mind this horse only had
about 6 weeks formal training, and I'm no trainer, so he hasn't really been
pushed or asked to do too much outside his comfort zone, before we started
training about 6 weeks ago.  WE will, however, be going to my instructor
weekly for "lessons together" and will focus on flat work and very basic
dressage:  bending, yeilding, counterbending, lead changes, etc.
I would appreciate all opinions, and since this listserve has recently
become a bit of an "opinion bonanza", I'd also like to share an old
"saying" you all have heard--
but my Mom gave special meaning to it and I quote:
"honey, there's more than one way to skin a cat and just because somebody
does it different doesn't mean their doing it wrong".
I've just ridden enough to realize that MOST of the membership on this
listserve are more "professionals" than I ever imagine existed in the
endurance sport and you've all got ALOT up on me!  I just hope this list
serve doesn't turn into a medium for one-ups-manship and mudslinging (and it
may be that most of you know each other so well that the recent discussions
were on a more friendly vein that I realize).  I've had to go through a lot
of mail lately to find the kind of information I need and it takes so long
to go through the other "stuff"  that I wonder if those folks in the heated
debate, might be pursuaded to "take it offline" or exchange their opinions,
critisms, via person to person e-mail messages?  And of course, since I'm a
"newbie"  I expect to get flamed for having the audacity to make such a
suggestion, but this is almost like being forced to go through a husband and
wife knock-down-drag-out fight at a fine dining establishment...kinda spoils
your supper if you know what I mean.
sincerely,
sherry and hudson (no longer known as Fat Boy)