Re: RC: Conditioning for 100 milers

In a message dated 09/01/2000 11:45:42 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
dearab@horsecom.net writes:

<< Now that we know what your training schedule was like, how about your
competitive season?
  How many rides a year?  Total competitive miles in a year?  How long
between rides?  Any layup after a ride?  A season off?
 Also, since Susan brought it up, at what age did he retire, and what kind of
afflictions beset him in old age?
  We'd love to know. >>

Abby:

My training schedule was and is an ever changing thing.  And just a word of
caution...my training and racing schedules were and are not the ideal.  I,
like most of you, have my REAL LIFE that limited and still limits me to some
extent.  All of my years campaigning Redman were also being spent raising
three kids (now 20, 17, and 14), so this sport has never been my only focus.

That said...Redman is 18 and semiretired.  He raced hard and fast for 10-11
years on the training plan already described.  He was an extremely sound
horse for most of those years, with intermittent lamenesses creeping in at
age 14 and 15.  Yet, with proper management and joint supplements (Advanced
Biological Concepts' Joint Jolt) his career extended into last season.  Even
after arthritic changes became evident, he ran extraordinary races (1998 win
at Biltmore and sub 8 hour victory at Carolina 100, to name a few). He also
continued, as he always had, to win best condition almost every race.  I
promised myself not to retire him as a cripple, so I won't ask him to run
full speed again.  Until this year, he still wanted to go for it.  Redman
always had that "look of eagles."  Now, he looks a little sleepy most of the
time. Ha!  He seems to have grown accustomed to the fat and sassy life of a
retiree.

It's funny...during my extraordinary years with him, I was never given much
credit for helping create this phenomenal horse.  That always bugged me a
little, since I was more than a trained monkey on his back.   Now I realize
that's as it should be.  Worldwide, during his best years, his name was much
more well known than mine.  It was the HORSE that was the star, not the
rider.  It's different now.

I've never had one year turn out like another as far as competition goes, and
no plan I started the year with has ever been fully realized.  Too much
always happens in "real life" or in horse training to waylay all the best
intentions.  I've never competed for mileage records either.  I train to win
or place as high as possible with all my horses, once they're ready.
Competitive miles have varied from 250 to 800 in a single season.  Training
miles are usually about the same no matter what--that is, each horse is
ridden 3-4 days a week, usually at 15-25 miles at a time.  After a race, my
horses get at least a week off with nothing to do but be turned out.  I've
never done a hundred miler closer than 4 weeks apart and wouldn't suggest a
50 miler closer than two weeks apart.  The faster you ride, the more careful
you must be about giving enough recuperation time.  I, personally, have never
had a reason to give a full season off, but have had to give a horse a few
months to get over an injury.  Just normal stuff.

I do all my own work, from cleaning stalls to doing all the riding of all my
horses.  So, I don't frustrate myself with trying to meet a rigid schedule.
I train as hard as I can, when I can, given the parameters of daily life.

Some competitors have the luxury of lots of time and lots of money to put
towards their endurance goals.  I've never had either of those and have
managed to compete at top levels anyway.  Most of my races, including 100s,
have been raced and often won without a pit crew, too.

I'm trying to make a point here...this sport is now crawling with people who
want to analyze it, dissect it, maximize it, package it, and make it into
"rocket science."  For those of you who want to do that, that's fine with me.
 I prefer to keep it simple and just stick to what works.  There's really no
substitute for intelligent, well planned training on a well-conformed horse
lucky enough to have a rider who's done his/her homework and knows how to
apply it.  Each horse is different.  Each race is different.  Have fun!

Debi Gordon