Re: RC: Conditioning for 100 milers

In a message dated 09/01/2000 12:28:51 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
Tivers@aol.com writes:

<< Success is a relative thing. The exercise protocol that won today's race
will
 not win next year. Again, if all you can do is what you've always done, then
 all you can be is what you are right now. Others will move forward--if
you're
 going to be competitive, you must move forward as well. Never say never.

Tom:

I think you misunderstood the essence of my post, just a tad.  First, your
admonitions to "never say never" are unnecessary.  I've NEVER done that.  My
knowledge and expertise as a trainer and rider change all the time.  I have
always changed and moved forward and will continue to do so as long as
winning is my goal. I also never said that today's training protocol or MY
training protocol were set in stone. I'm always open to change, always
willing to try or learn something new.

I also never said the way I trained, train now, or will train in the future
is the ONLY way to succeed.  No one has all the answers yet, and the horses
are the living, breathing experiments for all theories promoted by you, Tom,
and anyone else who dares to try something new.  Horses are individuals, too,
and the key will be finding the training system that maximizes each horse's
genetic potential.

You said the following: "In the years to come, if you are going to remain
competitive, you're going to have to increase the overall volume, not only of
the specific race
preparation, but of the base that is its foundation."  This is wonderful
advice.  Please don't assume that I don't know this or that I'm not already
doing this.

 Then you say, "And they'll be doing more next year.  And more the year
after."  Maybe.  I don't think we know what the future holds until the
results of today's training miracles have had a chance to show long term
results.  Will extreme training distances with ever increasing speeds and
intensities create tougher athletes who can stay sound and competitive for
more than the short term?  These horses will certainly be tough, but will
they last?  Will there be a price for too much quantity in the training?
These are questions no one can answer yet.  Let's see what happens. You said:
"You certainly can't put a semi-cripple through much in the way of aggressive
exercise."  True.  How long before today's winners are semi-crippled?  And I
have to wonder if it matters.  If careers of winning endurance horses become
as short-lived as nearly every flat track champion, then what have we
accomplished?  I'm not predicting this outcome, but sure do wonder about it.
Will today's winners have careers and soundness that lasts for ten years or
more?  It'll be interesting to see what happens.

Debi Gordon