Re: RC: Conditioning for 100 milers

Sarah and Tom:

My prescription for success has never included extremely long distance
training.  My longest training rides will rarely go over 25 miles.  On my
very fit horses being prepared to win, that distance will be covered in two
hours on hilly, somewhat rocky terrain.  I feel better doing at least one 50
mile race at top, winning speed before asking a horse to do the same in a one
hundred miler as the season begins.  However, I've started the season with a
hundred miler, felt like the horse was slightly undertrained and had great
success.

I personally believe extreme training distances (such as 100 miles in a 24
hour period) are overkill.  I can't imagine that type of training being
carried out for many years in a row.  Bodies can only stand so much.  To give
an example...CBS Redman lasted 10 years at the top, placing first or second
in nearly every race he ran.  His training always included intense work at
whatever distance my time would allow.  (I was raising 3 kids--never had an
actual training schedule).  And as a horse starts to age and suffer the
inevitable wear and tear, extreme distance would be even more risky, not to
mention unnecessary.

Once a horse has good base training behind it, training rides should be
intense and include intervals, hills, and speed.  I agree with Tom about
training at an intensity that will equal or surpass your competition pace.
Of course, intensity should be increased gradually and carefully.  Obviously,
it's ideal to mimic whatever conditions you'll face in competition during
your training, whether it's mountains, sand, humidity, high altitude, or
whatever.  Reality being what it is, you do the best you can.

And Sarah, the Old Dominion is certainly not a speed course.  If you finished
it at any speed, you KNOW what an accomplishment it is to cross that finish
line.  Now, if you want to finish the Old Dominion before dark (Redman did it
3 times--shameless brag, I know) you'll have to plan, train, and pray for
moderate weather.

Debi Gordon