Re: RC: Sigh! (was Arabian Stallion in IL)

Hi Kat
I think form the number of responses re: Secretariat we can infer that
the stallion had received an unfair bad rap; however, that was hardly
the point of the example and you still proved my point. Not ALL of his
get were race winners and it seems to be the general consensus that he
was a better broodmare sire--- that is the point. You cannot entirely
predict future get from a stallion in the first place---- but you can
increase the odds of getting a good offspring if you know that the sire
has good conformation and that he has get with athletic ability. The
only way to know whether a sire is prepotent with his conformation and
athletic ability is to look at what he has produced. If you happen to
have a mare standing around and it would cost you very little to breed
and to raise the foal for 4-5 years to find out (and don't mind keeping
or can sell/give away one who does not, then it might be worth the
experimentation. You cannot go entirely by the stallion's bloodlines---
not all *Bask's offspring were like their "dad". Although the proportion
of athletic offspring was high (you can see the wonderful hock action
that is pretty dominant) not all of those sons passed that trait on to
their offspring, hence, not judging a stallion by his sire's ability to
produce. Case in point, although Port Bask was English Pleasure, he was
known for producing great broodmares, who largely traveled Western
Pleasure themselves (I know, I have one--- and her son has great hock
action-- but no English Pleasure pop). On the other hand, you have many
stallions who have surpassed their sires--- combinations with the
mare--- pulling in from generations back. Then the trick is to see
whether this stallion passes on these traits to his future generations.
That takes many breedings to determine--- and time. That is why stud
fees for the better known stallions are higher than the "newbies"-- the
breeder has already put in the $$$ for the experimental stage and raised
and probably "given away" more than they'd like to admit at the start of
their program.  That was a whole point of my comments and being an
ex-breeder yourself, I am sure (or at least I would imagine) you would
agree. It is called "paying one's dues".
Bette

--
Bette Lamore
Whispering Oaks Arabians, Home of 16.2hh TLA Halynov