Re: RC: RE: Re: Re: crops and stuff...

In a message dated 8/31/00 7:48:12 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
MARLENE.MOSS@WCOM.COM writes:

<< I can think of nothing more boring for a horse than staying in
  for ages, being trained, until he was deemed "acceptable" to be taken out
 in
  public. >>

 And a certain amount of training involves learning to leave the familiar
 environment and accept the strange things that life throws one's way--and
 that can ONLY be done by leaving home in most cases...

yes - but never at the expense of safety - especially someone else's. We
don't expect other people to suck up the antics of our horses. It isn't their
responsibility to put up with it. The problem is that many people don't KNOW
how to finish a horse in a way that makes him at LEAST less than a safety
problem.  Kicking, striking, body slamming - none of these things would be
tolerated by ours. There is  a huge difference between green silliness and a
dangerous horse - or one who is just plain mean or poorly managed. Some
people cna put 5 YEARS into a horse and still be clueless. Others can create
a terrifically, socially pleasant horse in 2 months. The bottom line OT us us
that we don't take aggressive horses out amongst the unsuspecting public and
we don't expect it of others. OTOH, our horses, who DON'T kick out and behave
aggressively are fully entitled to take a swipe if they get rear-ended or
bitten or kicked at. Goes both ways.
San(who HATES badly behaved.anyone)