Re: RC: hackmores

My horses back up if I lean slightly back and bring my legs back behind the
girth.  I read somewhere (maybe Mary Wanless) that the back up button is
located behind the girth a little further back than the canter button.  It
works.  Another way to get a back up is to lean back and acting like you are
trying to lift the front of the saddle with your thighs.  Maybe she started
backing and when you lean back your legs are coming back or up too, and she
thinks you want her to back up.  A quick swat with a crop is not beating a
horse, it's telling them that they are not paying attention.  It also tells
them FORWARD.  You usually only have to do it once or twice.  Check your
riding position, and try some forward or turning cues when she backs up.
Good luck   jeri