Re: RC: Re: RE: Politics, Fires and Trails

In a message dated 00-08-29 01:17:22 EDT, dfletche@gte.net writes:

<< I stated they tend to spend money on pre commercial thinning. I am not
 certain any timber company does any controlled burns - it would not suprise
 me if they were legally prohibited from doing so. >>

Yes, private timber companies do a lot of pre-commercial thinning (thinning
out young stands so that they don't get too dense and so that they grow
faster).  The Forest Service does a lot of pre-commercial thinning as well.

As for controlled burning, I know that timber companies in the SE do a lot of
controlled burning, as does the Forest Service.  Both the USFS and private
entities who want to burn face a lot of regulations and guidelines regarding
the conditions underwhich they can burn, but a lot of acres go up in
controlled smoke every year.  In fact, my husband is a wildlife/forestry
consultant who does a lot of burning for timber companies in Texas and
Louisiana, in addition to wildlife/endangered species work.

One of the biggest fires we've had here in E. Texas this summer was last
week.  It got a little over 2000 ac. I think - which is big for here (lots of
roads, rural volunteer fire depts to "jump" on fires, etc. - so they don't
usually get that big).  It was east of Nacogdoches, TX, in a timber
company-owned young pine plantation.  Even with thinning, these stands are
very vulnerable to fire.  This past Sat. afternoon I was riding with an
endurance friend of mine near here who leases some timber company land for
riding...we were talking about how scary it would be if it caught on fire
while we were in it.  Given the breeze that was blowing, I doubt that we
could have gotten out in time.  We don't have those huge plantations on
Forest Service land in Texas - our cuts are smaller (20-25 ac.), so we're
less likely to have a fast-moving fire burn that many acres of FS land in TX.
 But we still have a 144 ac. fire in mature forest about a month ago.

Dawn

Dawn in Texas