Ride Story...Christmas in Kansas

Christmas in Kansas
2000

There is a new Angel in Heaven…. And she is an Endurance Rider!

I believe that Margie Burton and her crew had some help from above on
Saturday August 26.
With record-breaking temperatures all around, Saturday morning dawned
with cloud cover and a breeze that would last most of the day!  Then by
7:00pm it was 106 degrees!  I call that just short of a miracle.  It was
with a sad heart that we were missing one of our fellow riders at this
ride. I believe Sue Crews was watching from above, and I think she has
some pull up there!!  On that note…I say Thank you Sue.
This was a great ride, for the first time there was 100% completion in
the 50-mile ride and in the 25-mile ride there was only 2
non-completions.  Everyone took good care of their equines and
themselves. There was one rider that suffered a bit of heat exhaustion
on trail.  But thanks to the wonderful Jim Burton, the man was found and
cooled down with the help of a big water tank, Gatorade, ice water and
Bob Kurtz.  Jim and Bob managed to get the rider in the last 7 miles so
he could complete the 50!! Way to go guys!!  Margie’s volunteers pulled
off one of their best efforts.
On trail, all but one of the 8 water tanks had small tanks to sponge in,
complete with scoops!!
At one of the tanks, was Belinda, with cups of ice-cold water for the
riders and plenty of encouragement.  Thank you Belinda for scooping our
horses.
I also want to thank Jeannie (The Sign Lady) for the wonderful t-shirts
we got for completions.
Another thank you to Gary the Park Ranger who does such a nice job all
year with the equestrian park.  The trails were well-marked and easy to
follow and saving the best for last…Thanks Patty, for the great homemade
Ice Cream.
This was the last year for this ride to be held in August.  I heard
Margie was going to have a 100 miler next year.  You go Girl!  See you
all at the next ride.

Sheila and Rooster  (Why can’t I have alfalfa at home???)
Central Region