Re: RC: Stallions

Leah,
I am having my first time experience with a stallion this season.  I have
learned not to worry about the "talking" to mares.  He has learned I will
let him say hello but no other hanky panky is allowed, not even dropping
down.  A friendly hello is it.  He is starting to settle down and figure out
what the sport is about and what his job is at vet checks...granted the vet
last weekend gave us remarks on our card like this (this was vetting in not
at a vet check on trail:
Attitude: (A) frisky (very)
Impulsion: (A) strong (airborne)
Gait: (A) even
The airborne was for a little showing off as he wasn't long off the trailer
and still pretty excited about having my sister's mare with us.
However, once the initial excitement wears off, he's pretty much business
and though at home he recovers to parameters within seconds, it takes him a
couple of minutes at a ride.  A couple of minutes is OK, too.  I don't think
you'll be stuck forever.  Just stick with the discipline and remind him what
his job is and he'll settle.  The first few rides he'll be learning what his
purpose is and when he does, you'll be amazed at the difference in him.
Riding a stallion is not something you do when you are crazy...it shouldn't
be any different from riding ANY horse except that you can never let your
guard down.  Especially around other horses.  Otherwise, I expect him to
behave just as good as a mare or gelding.  Expect the best, get the best.
Good luck and most of all, HAVE FUN!
Maggie Mieske