Re: RE: Crops

Don wrote:

>I think a crop is a little short to get to dog, at least on my gelding I
would
>need a carriage whip.

Hi, Don.  You are doing the thing wrong if you can't reach the dog.  It goes
as follows:

Hold crop upright in hand (as you would a polo mallet), and reins in other
hand.
Point horse at dog.
Lift crop - like a salute
Apply heels to horse - if your horse is used to this, he will explode into a
polo canter, eyes wide, nostrils flaring.  Toc even manages to gnash his
teeth.
As you canter past dog, bring crop down in sweeping motion and swat its
hairy backside, shouting "goal" at the same time.
Sit lightly in saddle, turn horse on quarters (yes, they do this when they
are out.  Try it in the school and you get "say what?") and face dog again.
Repeat.

By this stage, the dog will be cowering, not sure in which direction he
should run.  Guaranteed he won't come at a horse again.

Readjust your belt, tip your hat at passers-by, hold crop over shoulder and
trot off, whistling the theme from "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly".

Go home, take a pill and get some sleep.

Tracey