Re: Best maintenance of osteoarthritis in a long distance horse?

> I have a question regarding chondroitin.  I have had 2 "people" doctors
> (including my orthopedic surgeon) & 2 "dog" vets tell me that chondroitin
> can not be absorbed by the body because the molecules are too
> large.  Conclusions are suppose to be based on human and canine
> studies.  Is this true for horses also?

Please don't start screaming for a specific citation, as now that school is
in session again, I just don't have the time----but I did see a study where
radiotagged molecules of oral GAGs were traced and did end up in
circulation.  The absorption is relatively low, but it does cross the
intestinal lumen (or at least apparently according to their data).  Keep in
mind, crossing the intestinal lumen is a lot different from migrating to
relevant tissue after IM injection.

CSU is working on a study to quantitatively determine the bioavailability of
GAGs and effect on cartilage healing rates.  Results will probably be out by
next spring.

susan g