Tin Cup Springs

Back to our story....

This past weekend was pretty hot but more muggy than hot.  I'm a desert horse and I don't mind the heat but that muggy stuff isn't fun.  That also seems to be the time when my mom insists on taking me out to ride, too.  Oh, well....it rained Friday night a little bit but actually cooled it down some.  I didn't sleep as much as I usually do...they put Dallas on the other side of Max and he decided not to be my friend anymore.  He kept rushing at me all night with his ears laid back.  Really hurt my feelings, too, cuz we always nuzzle up and scratch each other at rides.  But he was more interested in being by Dallas.  We didn't have to ride out until 9 a.m. that morning...my mom wanted me to do 2 25s instead of 50 miles because she was worried about me....first ride back and all.  I could have done it, I know it!!  But, she said, NO...let's split it up into 2 days!  OK, OK...what choice do I have?  She's the boss!  I was pretty excited about getting tacked up and riding around but I felt pretty darn good about myself....I could tell she was kind of scared, so I toned down the bouncy.  When they said "Trail's open", she said Yee Ha and away we went...there were 6 of us doing only 25 on Saturday but right away, a young girl nudged right past us and Mom made me LET them go by!!  I did NOT like that.  Max always takes the lead cuz he thinks he's such hot stuff but I didn't pay him any mind this morning.  It wasn't long before we hit the hill...it's not just a hill...it's sandy and it's a loooong hill.  I LOVE it...I can dig in and huff and puff like a locomotive.  I just feel like exploding with the energy I have!  Sure enough, we passed that girl on her horse.  I was polite and didn't make a big deal out of passing her like I did when I passed Dick and Rocky in May... she caught us again later and Mom made me let her go by again!  But I settled in cuz I knew we would get a chance later to pass her again!  Sure enough, just before the vet check, she was off walking her horse.  Mom thinks because she didn't know the trail she thought the check was much closer...it was about a mile from the vet check sign yet.  So we kept right on cruising by and Mom even let us gallop part of the way.  We trotted into the vet check and my pulse was down in less than 2 minutes...I trotted out looking like a million, too...what can I say?  I'm buff!!!  Max pulsed down right away, too and we were both looking pretty darn good.  We pigged out on COBB and goodies.  Max drinks like a fish...makes Mom mad when I won't but she doesn't understand that I think I am a camel...I come from desert bred horses!  I don't NEED to drink until I'm 20 miles out anyway.  She sneaks in enough water in that COBB stuff anyway!!  I think she tries to sneak in that salty stuff, too, so she doesn't have to shove that syringe in my mouth!  I peed a lake while
in the vet check....felt sooooo good!!!  And it makes Mom soooo happy and she doesn't get as mad about the drinking thing.  I can't believe how these people go on about my urine!  Sheesh!  Anyway, after our 30 minute hold, we're out again.  Did I mention how I LOVE this trail???  It has hills and ups and downs and arounds...it keeps changing all the time.  Mom lets me GALLOP as hard and as fast (almost) as I want up them, too.  It really charges me up!!  I don't know why she won't let me go DOWN them the same way.  I think it would be great fun but she gets pretty worked up if I try and starts muttering something about the damn Snowy River man.  We're working on the compromise where sometimes, she lets me TROT downhill if it's not too steep.  I can live with that.  We also passed a lot of trees CLOSE up if you know what I mean...Max got in trouble when he took Jenny too close to one and banged her knee.  I was soooo careful and Mom practiced her leg aids with me...she's getting the hang of this thing!  She did pretty good and we were both happy.  None of the other riders ever passed us after the vet check.  Mom made us slow down and walk through the deep sandy areas... made Jenny and Max and me kind of mad cuz we wanted to go a lot faster.  She still gets nervous about the sand though and I guess I understand why... she has to gain some confidence back in both of us.  She's trying really hard and she'll do OK.  We came into the finish in just over 3 hours, pulsed right down and both Max and I looked and felt great.  I knew we could have done another 25 yet that day!!!  Mom came back from her potluck dinner later that day quite pleased and happy about something called a BC...whatever that is.  Apparently, she's so fat and I'm so fit, we won a blue ribbon and a pewter bookmark.  I didn't care as long as I got my COBB and hay!!!  The Tin Cup Springs conclusion in a moment...stay tuned!
Mashallah Almalik
AERC# H30565