Re: Re: RE: RE: RE: Calling All LD Riders

> <<<Just what is the ration of 4 yr. olds to 5+ yrs on a LD???? Anyone have
> any
> info on this??<<<

It's a reasonable argument to determine if a problem really exists---but
take the same general policy and apply it to a different scenario.  Not many
horses die each year from metabolic failure, but is that a reasonable
argument for ride vets to stop checking metabolic parameters?

It seems to me that if endurance riding is going to survive an eventual and
probably inevitable confrontation with animal rights activists, we have to
show overwhelming evidence that we've taken the initiative in protecting our
horses as much as humanly possible.

If there *are* very few 4 year old horses competing in multiday LDs, then
we've inconvenienced no one, or maybe an isolated few for a month or
two---so what's the downside?

susan g