Re: RC: Re: RE: Politics, Fires and Trails

Not all the private timeber companies do better.  The fire in our area
during Florida's firestorm in '98 started on private land owned by a
timber company who had not and still has not done any controlled burning
(to my knowledge, maybe they got smart).  On the other hand, controlled
burning is frequent on the Merritt Island Nat'l Wildlife Refuge, which
encompasses the Kennedy Space Center.  While these controlled burns
sometimes are not completely controlled, they seem to serve the purpose
of protecting 2 National Resources - the refuge and the Space Shuttle.
They have recently been working to restore the scrub jay's habitat.

Carol in FL