Re: RC: re:Arab Stallion in IL

A little Postscript here
Wouldn't you want to see the phenotype, not just the genotype, before
making any predictions of what type of endurance horse this stallion
would sire? In fact, even with the best pedigree, a stallion may not
reflect his good breeding and even if he does, he might not throw an
athlete (I'm sure Ti can give you MANY examples of famous racehorses
whose offspring couldn't run a good race--- one famous one escapes me
right now (help me out, Tom)). The proof of a stallion in in his
offspring and certainly you would want to start with looking at the
conformation of the sire (there are MANY combinations of genes and even
*Bask has some that are NOT desirable, that were perhaps recessive in
him, but came through to  some of his offspring).
My stallion has a very successful English Pleasure daughter--- can I
make the statement that his get would be great in English Pleasure---NO!
Actually, most of his move like hunters and racehorses--- and the mare's
gene paired with one of his and voila--- an English pleasure horse. Are
ALL his get going to be great in hunter or race--- many have been;
however, it takes 2 to tango and the mare has input (more than we
stallion owners like to talk about sometimes--- (it's so much nicer to
have our stallions take credit for everything<BG>) A stallion owner
needs to experiment with enough crosses to know what things his/her
stallion is prepotent in. I always like to see a photo of the mare; if I
can't I ask questions about her conformation. There are certain things
my stallion can and can't do (e.g.. the head of the mare will pretty
much be the head of the foal; however, the foal will gain some size form
the sire, etc.)
So what I'm saying is that it is no simple matter to predict
offspring---- even under the best of circumstances--- seeing the dam,
the sire, knowing their bloodlines and what they have produced in the
past. If you could predict for sure, Tom would be out of business--- you
would just breed a winning pedigreed mare to a winning pedigreed
stallion and have a winner everytime (what WAS the name of that stallion
who won the Triple Crown and whose get never did squat, Tom???). As Tom
once said, he's never surprised much after a race to see the winner's
pedigree, but to predict before (with no knowledge even of conformation
nor what offspring the stallion has thrown), Tom said he couldn't and if
HE can't.....
Bette

--
Bette Lamore
Whispering Oaks Arabians, Home of 16.2hh TLA Halynov