A Tale of Caution

Never in my life did I think I would be reading out loud in the middle of the
night to a sick horse.  In over 4,000 miles of endurance competition, my
Icelandic horse Remington had never suffered anything more than a minor
injury.  But last week we almost lost him.

Three weeks ago both Remington and my other Icelandic, Skjoldur, were entered
in probably the easiest ride we've been to in three years.  The scenery was
beautiful, the ride was well run and the vets were excellent.  Both the
weather and footing were ideal.  We rode very slow since this was only my
second ride back after my own broken leg and knee last New Year's Eve.

One thing I was a little worried about was all the grass clippings on the
ground the horses were getting into all night before the ride instead of
eating their hay.  I guess the field we were camping on had been mown not too
much earlier.  I should have been more worried.

Both horses seemed uncomfortable when they would stop to defecate after the
ride started.  Remington was then pulled for lameness at the first vet check.
Although it was obvious he was very lame, it was hard to figure out why.
When the vet tried to examine his left front leg, he wouldn't let her touch
it. He didn't feel uneven to ride, but seemed increasingly short strided -
more from the front than the rear.  When he stood around back at camp, he
appeared uncomfortable on all his feet.  He had no filling or swelling
anywhere but had a strong digital pulse on both front legs.  When I talked to
head vet Michelle Shaw, she suggested I have him undergo a full lameness exam
as soon as I got home.

Skjoldur was pulled later in the ride when it was clear he wasn't eating and
had little or no gut sounds.  This was also a mystery since he normally eats
like a pig throughout a ride.  His stools were becoming loose and he looked
awful.  At least he was fully recovered by the next day.

I took Remington to the Alamo Pintado Equine Medical Clinic near my home the
next morning.  After a thorough exam, his mystery lameness was diagnosed as
mild laminitis.  He was lame in all four legs, more in the front than the
rear.  The vet surmised that both horses had ingested toxins from a radical
change in their diet (probably the grass clippings) and reacted differently,
Skjoldur with stomach upset and Remington with laminitis. They kept Remington
for treatment and observation overnight and then sent him home when he was
sound.

By Thursday, Remington was no longer eating and had increasingly watery
diarrhea.  I took him back to Alamo Pintado Friday morning where they became
concerned with those symptoms as well as dehydration, an elevated heartrate
and the results of his blood tests. Rem went into their intensive care unit
and was put on an intravenous drip. He had a severe inflammation of his
intestinal system.

By Saturday, he was painfully squirting water and passing little else.  A
rectal exam revealed a small colon impaction at the same time.  His gut had
essentially stopped working.  Although all the intravenous fluids eventually
caused the impaction to pass a few days later,  the watery diarrhea continued
along with the elevated heartrate and an unwillingness to eat. By Wednesday,
Remington was moved to the isolation unit for fear of salmonella.  He was
assigned a veterinary intern full time (she had to stay isolated from the
other horses too).  Things looked grim.

I had been spending nights at the clinic and was very tired and distraught.
I remember telling my wife how horrible it felt not to know what was wrong or
what to do.  She told me just to keep spending time with him so he wouldn't
feel alone and confused.  I did read an Icelandic saga with a lot of horsey
action, The Saga of Hrafnkels's Frey Godi, out loud to Rem that night just
because I had run out of things to say.  I don't know what he thought but I
felt better at least with the distraction.

Of course, you can never count Remington out.  By Friday morning, he was
starting to eat. The intern and I celebrated when he passed his first
semi-solid stool that night in a week. He was taken off the iv drip.  By
Saturday, he was ravenously hungry, started throwing his bucket around, and
even knocked the double gate for the isolation unit off its hinges.  Sunday
he was put back outside in a paddock and was pooping like a Clydesdale.  He
even bit someone.  I knew he was back.  Remington was sent home last Monday.

The point of all this, if there is one, is that you should go with your
instincts if you have a concern about what your horse is eating.  You should
also love your horse every minute because you never know when something awful
can happen, even to a tough little bastard like Remington.

John Parke
Solvang CA