Re: RC: RE: Multi-day LD's

In a message dated 8/24/00 7:34:09 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
tvanhove@uswest.net writes:

<< Well, I don't think doing 50 slow/moderate miles in 2 days is as hard
 on a 4 year old as doing one fast 25 would be.  The vast majority
 of "multi-day LD's" are 2 and 3 day rides in conjunction with 2-3 day
 50's.  You'all out west do not realize that for a lot of the USA
 a RM needs to have both 25 and 50 mile riders each day of a
 ride to pay the bills; to make it worth folk's while to
 drive to a ride it also helps to have 2-3 days of rides.  I love
 having an LD each day of a 2-3 day ride, it gives me the option of
 taking along a young'un or semi-retired horse to ride an LD one of the
 days if my endurance horse is not ready for consecutive 50's. >>

Actually, while I have to agree that speed is a primary problem with younger
horses, so is working back-to-back with insufficient recovery time.  I'd have
to add my nickel's worth to the concept of not allowing 4-year-olds on
consecutive rides.  I agree completely with the idea that many RM's need the
LD's to pay the bills, and with your other statements, but they really don't
have a thing to do with the concept of sparing 4-year-olds.  I can sympathize
with folks who are physically limited and can't do longer distances--or even
that don't want to--but there is no reason why, if that is the case, that
they can't be riding a horse that is 60 months or over.  As for 4-year-olds
being "limited" in their ability to pursue the year-end mileage awards for
LD's--perhaps by limiting them from such folly in their 4-year-old year, they
may be able to grow up to be able to compete for it MANY times later in life,
rather than suffering wear and tear that could make that 4-year-old season
its last...

That said--I have to agree with those who have also commented that this
"loophole" is not currently being abused.

Heidi