RE: Politics, Fires and Trails

Jerry:

Tantamount to these articles. Personal experience has shown much truth in
the matter.

We ride several times a week in lands managed by private parties, Boise
Cascade, the Idaho Department of Lands and the US Forest Service. Our choice
is the Boise Cascade lands where pre-commercial thinning is rigorously
practiced. These lands are quite park like with green grass growing under
the trees. Tree spacing about 25 to 30 feet and absolutely no ladder fuel.
The State lands are not quite as nice but still rather open and nice to ride
through. These lands are managed for the endowment of the state education
system. The USFS lands can only be used where there is a trail or road. The
dog hair condition is such that the elk and deer can hardly penetrate. The
fire potential is extreme.

So, where does recreation take place? On the state and Boise Cascade land!
And who do the environmentalist castigate? The State and Boise Cascade for
ruining the environment. If only the city dwellers could get out and see the
difference. If they could only experience it first hand. The managed forest
provides shelter and food for the wildlife, the unmanaged USFS land supports
chipmunks and squirrels at the most. It is disheartening to say the least
and even more so to the old FS people where "from the land".

Bob