A naive sheath cleaning question

Asked in all honesty...

My gelding drops quite often as I keep him in with mares, and when
opportunity presents itself I will clean him with my hand.  He is quite
gentle and I have cleaned his sheath with water, cleaner, etc. before.  So
far he just looks at me quizzically (although I think he is starting to smirk
a bit) and this way I keep out of a more compromising position.  I am just
wondering if this is sufficient if he lets me get a hand on occasionally.
Thanks.

Kristi in Maryland