16HH/old horses

Karen: the 65th horse at Tevis was my daughter's horse Tala's Design
(affectionately known as "Will").  He is 16-2, black, and was, I think,
one of the heavier horses to start. He is 1/2 arab & standardbred.   His
rider is 6'.   He has a couple of thousand miles and is about 12 yrs
old. I  ride Gus,  an anglo arab (16-1) and he is closing in on 3000
miles.  He is 16 this year (So whoever was worried about age..go for
it).  He weighs less than Will (1150)  Tall horses have some advantage
as far as stride length goes, but they don't whip around those tight
curves as well.  I was looking for a 15hh horse when I found Gus because
I'm short. oh well.  I also ride a half arab/morgan cross that is 15-2
and a full arab mare that is 15hh.  Deb Bennet had a good discussion one
time about the height of a horse and (in endurance) she seemed to feel
over 16 hh you were getting into a form/function problem.  I haven't
noticed any bone density/strength problems and no deformities that I
know of.