Speaking of Osteoarthritis...

Harley, my QH, was diagnosed with bone spavins in his hocks (this is arthritis,
correct?) earlier this spring and had his hocks injected with Legend and
steroids.  I noticed a drastic improvement, he became 95% sound after the
injections.  Earlier this month I noticed him off on his left hind when lunging
(I don't lunge too often because of his hock problems) and took him back to the
vet for another course of Legend.  He recommended a 3 week "boost" of Legend
shots (1st was in the joint, 2nd and 3rd will be IA or IV - I forget which) and
then monthly maintenance of Legend.

Here's my confusion.. from what I understand about bone spavins, the joints are
supposed to fuse over a course of a few years, correct?  According to the vet,
the best way to speed this process is to ride, ride, ride.. and Legend to
alleviate pain (in addition to bute on the morning before a big ride).  The
problem arose from his conformation - he is sickle hocked.  Last Thursday was
his first injection in the 3 week series and on Saturday we went on a 5 1/2
hour ride (walking mostly on steep single track trails) and he did great.. he
walked out so much better and managed the downhill grades better as well.  Long
story short, this is going to be very expensive! (I work for Bayer, who
produces Legend and am trying desperately to get a hold of someone who can give
me a discount for this liquid gold - this is another story) I'm wondering how
common this sort of treatment is for bone spavins..  Harley and I trail ride
and condition relatively short rides (1-2 hours 3X week with a longer ride (3+
hours) every other week on hills - once I get the saddle I ordered for him I'd
like to start riding LD rides - for completion only.  Once the joints fuse will
he still need Legend shots?

Thanks in advance,
Julienne (who'll probably spend more than 3x what she paid for the horse this
coming year once this Legend maintenance gets going!)
Harley (I feel good, mom! What's money good for anyway if you're not going to
spend it??)