pour -in pads

Kathy,
  I don't routinely use pads, but felt I needed them for the Tevis.  I
didn't want to change anything by putting a pad between the shoe and the
hoof, so I opted for the pour-in style.  I have read that they don't stay
in.  In fact, in fact I was told by the vet secretary at check in at the
Tevis that they would fall out. My farrier has been using them for the last
year and he knows how to make them stay in.  The trick is to use a mesh like
is used in gutters and cut it to the shape of the hoof.  Nail it between the
hoof and the shoe and then pour in the pad material.  It lasted until my
next shoeing job in 6 weeks and had almost no damage from the rocks at the
Tevis.  My farrier says he has never had them fall out.
Roberta Harms