Re: RC: re: S10 Towing

cocoastar@juno.com on 08/23/2000 02:40:48 AM

To:   ridecamp@endurance.net, suendavid@worldnet.att.net, adlee@bigfoot.com
cc:    (bcc: Tamara Woodcock/US1/Lend Lease)

Subject:  RC:  re: S10 Towing

I actually have no problems towing a two horse steel trailer with an SUV.  I
have a Jeep Grand Cherokee (all the time 4WD, automatic 5.2 V8, and heavy-duty
tow package including pumped up cooling system and rated for 6500 lbs).  My two
horse doesn't have trailer brakes or anti-sway bars.  Hauls fine in what ever
conditions I need it to haul in.  I've only used it to haul 1 horse at a time,
but that's because I only have one horse I can get to load in this trailer.

I've also pulled my stock trailer with this Jeep (16" steel trailer) with two
horses weighing around 2100 lbs. combined.  Had no problems on the highway, did
have a bit of a problem pulling a really steep hill that had a stop light at the
bottom of it (which I got stopped at) and does required a long time to stop
smoothly.  This does have electric brakes, but no anti-sway bars.  The only
problem I have with hauling a trailer of this size with the Jeep is the hitch
height.  I use a receiver hitch and in order to make the two horse trailer ride
level when loaded the hitch has to be lower than for the stock trailer.  The
hitch is just a bit to low when hauling the stock trailer right now, but this
can be corrected simply by me remembering to buy a 2nd receiver hitch at setting
the ball higher.

I do prefer to use my old F350 dually for pulling, but it's gotten to where it
just can't do the hills anymore and burns a quart and a half of oil with each
tank of gas.

-Tamara

Guess I should add that the type of small truck you have makes a
lot of difference in how well the rig handles.  A 4-wheel drive is
typically taller and a bit less stable than a longbed 2-wheel drive
model.  The shorter the wheelbase and the higher it is off the
ground the worse it will handle towing a load.  An SUV like a
Bronco II or an S10 Blazer would be the worst handling of the
bunch.

My Ranger was a 2-wheel drive supercab so I had some advantage
over a 4wd Toyota - even though the Toyota might have more
horsepower!  And I would not go back to the Ranger since I have
been pulling my gooseneck with my F250 diesel for several years now.
It's all kinda relative......

Again  YMMV
Dave Bennett
Georgia