Re: RC: Chevy S10

>I'm about to get married.  And I have a fiancé with a Chevy S10.  He's
>convinced that the truck can pull a horse trailer with at least 1 horse in
>it.  I'm concerned about stopping power, weight of the trailer outweighing
>the truck, strain on the V6 engine, etc.  If the trailer has electric
>brakes, will that help with stopping power?

     I just bought a '98 GMC Jimmy, 4 door (makes a difference w/ vehicle
length in regards to how well it tows).... I pull my 2 horse, steel trailer
w/ it. It does fine on the flat, but I haven't tried it on any good hills
yet. It has the regular GMC/Chevy V6 4.3litre engine, and that's fine. The
only thing you have to find is what gearing it has. My truck has a 3.73
ratio on the rearend. That's rated for towing 5,000 lbs. If it has, say, a
3.08 in the rear, that's only rated for towing 4,000 or so. Big difference
when you're talking 1 horse and a steel trailer. Also makes a difference on
fuel economy and how long the rearend lasts.
     The engine itself should be able to handle it, on the flat at least.
Also, according to my manual (not sure how much I trust it!) it says that if
you're towing more than a ton, to shift into 3rd, not into Drive (that's
only if it has an overdrive), as the strain might be too much on the tranny.
     Electric brakes are a must on a truck that size! The mass of the
trailer versus the truck adds up to incredible stop distances. And
incredible wear on your brakes. The electric ones are wonderful aides.

>Anybody out there use a Chevy S10 with V6 to haul horses?
>Some stuff about the truck.  It's suspension has been tightened >whatever
>that means).  It has a class 3 hitch bolted to the frame of >the truck (as
>opposed to using the bumper hitch).  Automatic transmission.  V6 engine.
>No anti-sway bar, but the manual recommends >it if pulling over 2000 pounds
>(any idea on the cost for that?).  >Gross Vehicle Weight Rating is 4200#.
>Gross Axle Weight Rating Front >is 2500#.   Gross Axle Weight Rating Rear
>is 2300#. No info about >Gross Combination Weight Rating.

     Ok, the class III hitch is rated to tow, according to my memory, about
10,000 lbs or so and have a hitch weight of 1,500 lbs. Anyways, it's plenty!
Also, as long as you have a strong tranny and aren't in a mountainous
region, an automatic tranny is better. Less wear on everything. No clutch
not meshing w/ gears just right... no jerky stops and starts.... Hmm, maybe
I just don't shift right? lol
     I'd get the sway bars, just for the fact that it makes it easier on the
horse. I don't have them on my truck right now, but am buying the setup in
the next few days or so. I have no clue on cost.
You can look up the stock ratings for your vehicle on either Kelly's Blue
Book (www.kbb.com) or possibly a Chevy website. Also, on AllData.com
(http://www.alldatadiy.com/alldata/AFI~OD~C8000~N/0) Just pick the year,
etc. Also, for a great weight distributing hitch w/ sway bars, check out
Reese, who is probably the most used hitch manufacturer around
(www.reese.com)

>Don't have a trailer, but it'd probably be a used simple steel 2 horse.
>(How
>much do those things weigh, anyway?)

     Heavy. I'm hoping to re-skin my '80 trailer next weekend w/ aluminium,
make it just a bit lighter and less care-intensive. Also gives me a great
opportunity to check out the whole frame and see where weak points are and
fix em now. I already sealed the floor boards last year just for the heck of
it, even tho I never used the trailer last year.

Good luck! And Congrats on your upcoming wedding!!

Marlana Pitas
South Attleboro, MA
EquineMT@hotmail.com
http://www.EquineMT.com