Second Sweat Question

Heather Watson watson1@gv.net
I just searched the archives, but was wondering if there were
any new opinions since 1998 regarding why second sweats happen?

I saw a lot of posts indicating that it might be caused because
the horse wasn't cooled out properly.

The horse in question (9 years old) seems to break out into a second sweat on
patches of his body, usually the chest, girth area, flank, and
uppper inner thigh.  This usually happens about one to two hours
after riding, but not all of the time.  Probably once out
of every 15-20 rides.  Maybe even less.
And I always take plenty of time to cool him out--its always been a BIG deal to me.

The conditions leading to this second sweat are extremely
intermittent.  He doesn't do it all the time.  Most of the time
he's done it after a mild ride (not heavily exerted).  In fact,
he's done it most often if the ride consisted of at least 50% walking.  And he seems relaxed at the walk (no jigging, loose rein).

He's done it at all times of year, with all lengths of coat.
He's done it on a variety of feed programs, both with or without
alfalfa or grain.  He's done it on short conditioning rides
10 miles or less), as well as after a 50 mile ride. He's done
it in all types of weather.  He's done it when trailered, as well
as when we're just riding around the house.

The last time he did it was this weekend.  The weather was nice,
low humidity, and we rode in protective shade as opposed to full
sun as we often do.  I went about 25 miles (?) in about 6 hours
so much of the ride was done at a walk and a nice trot.  Little
if no cantering.  He is in really good condition, and his heart
rate was nice and low with quick recoveries.

The only thing I can think of that seems to be a common factor
in all of these incidents is that he seems to break out in this
second sweat if we've had an a "difference of opinion" at some
point in the ride (though nothing major).  Sometimes he'd like
to go a LOT faster than he SHOULD, so I have to remind him that
he has a lower gear than gallop.  We don't fight much, and he
doesn't really get visibly upset.  There's no yelling or
jerking, really.  Just a few half-halts here and there, and at
times we stop and circle when necessary.  Mostly just sitting
deep in my seat, using my body as the breaks--not the reins).
He's definitely not amped, at least that I can see, and he will
walk and trot on a loose rein afterward. He's pretty good about
"sharing" his feelings with me, and will be the first to let me
know when he's not happy or if he's upset/ticked/etc.  I give him
lots of positive reinforcment, so I'd be surprised if he WAS
stressing internally.

I rode him in at a walk and even hand-walked (to stretch my own
legs) for the last couple of miles on this last ride.
He was cool to the touch when he got back and didn't have any
sweat on him at all.  An hour later, he was sweating. Oh, and the second sweat was a lot more than he'd sweated at any
point DURING the ride.

Is it possible that he's internalizing his stress at some point
during our rides and that it contributes to his second sweat?
When a horse is upset, can it release chemicals that could contribute to this physical reaction later?

Like many of the others who wrote about this issue in the
archives, he doesn't appear bothered or in pain.  Everything
about him seems normal except the delayed sweat patches.  I saw
one posting where the owner said she'd had blood work done to
eliminate the possibility of tying up.  None of his muscles seem
tighter than normal either.

So, are there any new theories about this issue?  Any vets out
there who could take a stab?  I'd feel a lot better if I knew
a little more about WHY he does this.  Sure was scary the first
time.  Any ideas or suggestions are welcome.

-Heather